Wednesday, September 9, 2009

old eyes



The dilemma presents itself daily....
"Excuse me sir, may I take your photo?"
"Well now young feller, why would you want a picture of an ugly old geezer like me?"
"You have an incredibly fascinating face full of character and stories"
"Does that mean I'm ugly and wrinkled and you want to 'collect' my face for your reference material?"
"Erm....uh....YES!"
How does one accost someone in the street or in the supermarket and ask them to be allowed to photograph them? How does one do it without offending? Some people are just so amazingly gnarled and carunculated that they beg to be photographed. Weather and time have etched their faces with hard won stories and maps of places and laughter and hardship.
How does one walk up to them and ask if you can take their picture?
The village I live in is small. I drive the only black Rolls Royce with a chauffeur and I tend to stand out because I wear a powdered wig, brocade coat and lace neckerchief, evidently a person of fine breeding. Do I need to wear ordinary clothes maybe?
I am at wits end. Last week I was chased around the village square by an angry mob brandishing pitchforks and flaming torches. They do not understand the necessity of a nude model for my art.
I shudder to think what they will do if I were to ask for their photograph, chosen from hundreds because of their delightful ugliness.
You would think that in this day and age the awkward puritanical urges will have been muted. NO!...have not it seems.
I despair. I really do.
Savages!
Yet the question remains, : How does one ask ugly people permission to snap their picture? (and occasionally in the nude too)
Please forward suggestions to.....

No comments:

Post a Comment